Since the microwave is often used, with time, it covers with fat, spots, and the smell leaves much to be desired. To conduct an effective cleaning at home, you need to determine the material of the device and choose an appropriate tool.
Nuances of Cleaning Based on the Microwave Material
Before cleaning the microwave oven from any contamination, it is necessary to determine the type of material of its inner surface, since various surfaces react differently to cleaning agents, and the domestic appliance can be damaged by improper cleaning. Therefore, there are some kinds of covering:
- Cleaning with hard sponges and washcloths leaves scratches, which with further use will be clogged with fatty breezes even more. Besides, acidic cleaners lead to rust formation. Such coating is recommended to clean only with soft sponges and compulsory complete drying in the finish.
- Stainless steel. This material attracts fat drops very much. It is not recommended to use acids because of possible surface darkening. It is better to use special cleaning agents for stainless steel.
- Ceramic surface. For cleaning this covering, it is better to use mild detergents. Apply it with a damp sponge or cloth.
Lifehack: In order to wash your microwave oven rare, get a plastic hood that protects the inner surface food “explosions” during heating or cooking. In addition, you can use a special microwave cooker with a lid. As an alternative, simply close the dish with a cling wrap.
Recommendations Before Cleaning
To clean a microwave oven properly, you have to:
- Pull out the glass plate from the oven and remove the ring. Clean in the next order: wipe the walls, grilles, bottom, and at the very end – the door.
- Disconnect the oven from the mains during washing.
Remember that an empty microwave is forbidden to be turned on – you risk to get an explosion.
How to Clean the Microwave Inside from Fat Using Steam?
Steam cleaning is the very effective method, as it greatly softens the leftovers of food and adhering fat. For this method, no cleaning agents are needed, except ordinary water.
The next items are needed: a deep and broad plate (preferably the size of a glass disc of a microwave), water in the amount about half a liter.
Carry out the cleaning following the instructions:
- Pour water into a bowl, put in a microwave, and turn on for 10-20 minutes.
- After turning off the oven, leave it in this position for at least 5 minutes, then open and clean the layer of grease and dirt with a soft sponge.
- In the case of stubborn stains, it may be necessary to apply several “steam sessions” described above.
Important: Watch for the fullness of the container with water and do not allow water to drain from the walls of the inner surface.
Original 5 Minutes Cleaning
For this method the next items are needed:
- rubber sponge for washing (it is better to use the large-sized sponge);
- dishwashing liquid
- a basin filled with water.
After preparing the abovementioned items, start cleaning following the next tips:
- Moisten a sponge with water.
- Apply a detergent and thoroughly foam it. To accomplish this, you have to squeeze and unclamp the sponge.
- Put the sponge inside the oven and set the minimum power for 30 seconds.
- This method can be repeated several times before the final cleaning. The main thing is to make sure that the sponge does not start to melt.
Steam from the detergent softens the fat, and then it is well washed. By the way, the sponge at the same time is perfectly disinfected, so you can combine “two in one”: cleaning the microwave and disinfecting your sponges for dishes (of course, previously thoroughly washed).
Cleaning with Vinegar
To clean a microwave using this product, you need 2-3 tablespoons of 9% vinegar or 1 teaspoon of the essence (70%), a deep plate and water (0.5 liters).
The cleaning process is provided the next way:
- Add vinegar to the water and put it in a microwave.
- Switch on the oven for 5-15 minutes (depending on the contamination).
- After the signal, do not open the microwave immediately. It is necessary to give time to water steam with vinegar to dissolve the fat completely. Then you can open the oven and wash it.
In addition to vinegar, you can apply soda; it will help to get rid of fat stains much better. Soda is needed in the amount of 1-2 tablespoons.
Do not worry about the vinegar smell. It will evaporate almost immediately after the microwave oven cooling.
The Fast Method of a Microwave Cleaning
The fastest way to clean the microwave oven (especially with strong and stubborn stains) is conducted with the help of household chemicals. You can easily find a lot of them in the market. The important thing is to read the instructions and make the right choice of the means that is suitable for the inner covering of your home appliance.
Such agents are convenient to apply, they usually act quickly, and the specific smell disappears quickly. The agent is used to cover the contaminated surfaces, and after a while, it has to be washed off and wiped dry. A couple of similar procedures can be carried out in case of a strong contamination.
Household chemicals are very aggressive, but of course, it easily destroys any dirt. Moreover, together with grease and dirt, you can spoil both your fingernails and skin. Therefore, always use rubber gloves, especially if you do not want to lose your favorite manicure.
After proceeding with any chemical means, leave the oven door open to get rid of odors.
How to Get Rid of Unpleasant Smell after a Microwave Cleaning?
To clean the microwave not only from the layers of fat but also from the unpleasant odors that are considered to be indispensable companions after cooking, follow these simple instructions:
- Take a small shallow saucer and fill it with ordinary salt. Put it in the oven and leave for a few hours, but preferably from night to morning.
- Activated carbon is an excellent absorbent. Grind the packing of coal tablets to a powder, and pour in a saucer. Leave it in the oven for the night, and in the morning, you will forget about any nasty smells in the microwave.
- Take the ground coffee (which can be taken after brewing). Taking a custard coffee, not the instant one is necessary. The algorithm is the same: fill a plate with coffee (you can take 2-3 tablespoons), leave for the night, and in the morning, you will enjoy a pleasant coffee aroma.
Important: Odor remover should be used in a warm (not hot) microwave. Cooling down, the agent will gradually absorb all the unpleasant odors.
“Cold” cleaning methods involve periodic washing of a microwave oven with soap solutions of laundry soap or detergent. As a rule, it is sufficient if the surfaces are not too dirty. If the inner surface is covered with a layer greasy splashes, it is necessary to use more radical methods.