In spite of a new contemporary kitchenware, there is no better helper in cooking than a cast iron.
However, over time, the appliance loses its appeal, and then the question becomes urgent: how to clean a cast-iron frying pan from even a very old carbon deposits? Do not worry if the strong “shell” tightly stuck to your favorite kitchen helper because many effective ways will give it a second life.
The unpleasant covering on a cast-iron frying pan is the inevitability thing, with which our mothers and grandmothers have learned to cope for a long time, and not only using an effective store means but also with the help of handy materials available in every house.
During such a long struggle with the burnt fat, a lot of folk methods were invented. Many of them have made it possible to get rid of the unpleasant covering on the surface of a cast-iron frying pan both from the outside and from the inside.
How to wash a cast iron pan properly?
Often in the process of using the kitchen appliance while cooking, the housewife wonders about the rules of handling her favorite frying pan because everyone wants it to serve for years, and at the same time, retain all properties and remain shinning, clean and beautiful surface.
Since there are so many questions like this, we want to answer only the most popular ones.
Can I clean a cast-iron frying pan in the dishwasher?
Washing iron products in the dishwasher are strictly forbidden because after such “wash” the frying pan begins to rust.
If you have already made this mistake, you can save the damaged kitchenware surface the next way:
- Rinse the pan without any detergents under running warm water.
- Dry it with a fabric towel.
- Add a few drops of vegetable oil on the cast iron surface and dry the kitchenware with a soft cloth, but do not add too much oil to create a sticky film.
- Now spread a layer of salt over the whole surface of the frying pan and heat it on the oven until smell appears.
- Then pour out the salt, wipe the frying pan with the same cloth again and enjoy the great result.
Can I wash a hot cast-iron frying pan immediately after cooking?
NEVER DO THIS! If each time after cooking the hot pan from cast iron is poured with water, then with time the dish can deform, and it can even burst in a contact with cold water.
It is better to cool the kitchenware in the air for about 5 minutes, and then wash with a very warm water.
How to wash a cast-iron frying pan and grill after cooking?
Often, after frying, the pan bottom is covered with fatty coating, which many housewives strive to tear off with a metal washcloth – remember, this is not recommended.
In order to remove dirt from the pan, use soft brushes and sponges for dishwashing, and if the covering is not affected, you can take a little soda as a soft abrasive remedy.
Immediately after washing, the frying pan should be dried and rubbed with a vegetable oil.
How to clean a frying pan in case of the burnt food while cooking?
If during the operation the bottom and walls of the frying pan are covered with pieces of burnt food, do not rub the vessel with anti-corrosion brushes and metal washcloths.
It is better to use the next recipe:
- Fill the bottom of the frying pan with salt and soda in the equal proportions, and then pour water in amount to cover the soda-salt layer.
- Boil this mix on high heat for half an hour, and then pour out and wash cast iron in the usual way.
How to clean the old cast-iron frying pan?
Nowadays, there are many tools in retail with help of which, according to manufacturers and advertisers, you can easily remove the fat and dirty covering from the surface and therefore give a second life to your kitchen “beauty”.
But which method is really EFFECTIVE? How to clean old cast-iron frying pans from carbon deposits without spoiling the dish surface?
The acid solution, which intensively corrodes fat, is a base of most cleaning products.
After the inspection among the most popular means (“Mr. Muscle Antifat”, “Cleaner”, “Silit Beng” and “Shumanit”), the best results were shown by the very expensive “Shumanit” and quite cheap “Cleaner”.
The cream “Sanita”, which nowadays is at the top of popularity, has also proven itself as an effective tool in the fight against nasty covering and fat.
Speaking of the most inefficient means, it would not be a surprise that “Silit Beng” couldn’t prove its main function and remove fat.
After processing the frying pan with detergent, the outer surface of the dish should be cleaned with a metal washcloth, after which the vessel should be rinsed under warm water, dried and rubbed with oil.
When working with such extremely caustic substances, do not forget to use rubber gloves.
Folk remedies for cleaning the cast-iron pan
If you do not trust the purchased chemicals, use ordinary folk remedies. After all, there are many ways to clean the carbon deposits on a cast-iron frying pan by your own hands.
In this article you will definitely find the best way for you to clean your favorite dish: from classic roasting and traditional laundry soap to preparing the original detergent from the simplest means.
Option number 1: Decoction
In this version, we will mostly boil cast-iron frying pans. For such procedure, you should immediately find a voluminous tank for the frying pan, and also prepare the components needed for this procedure.
Ingredients for solution №1
- Household soap – 1 piece 72%;
- Silicate glue – 2 packs;
- Soda – 0,5 kg.
Ingredients for solution №2
- Washing powder – ½ of glass;
- Calcined soda – ½ of glass;
- Stationery glue – 1 tube.
How to clean a cast iron frying pan from carbon deposits
- Fill the water tank (bucket) and set it to heat.
- As soon as the water becomes warm, add all the components for the solution (chose any).
- Once all the ingredients have dispensed, dip the pan to completely cover it with the solution, and leave the pan in the boiling water for 15 minutes.
- Then turn off the fire, cover the tank with a lid and leave the frying pan for two or three hours.
- After this time, take out the pot from decoction, and then clean off it using a brush.
- Also you can cook the frying pan for 2 hours, and then start cleaning.
Option number 2: Roasting
If you do not like the idea of boiling a bowl for such a long time, then there is nothing else to do but roast a cast-iron frying pan from the deposit with the help of fire.
To do this, light a fire and just put a frying pan in it. As soon as you notice that the carbon began to fall off, remove the container from the fire and manually clean the entire black shell. This variant is perfect for those who live in a private or a country house.
Of course, this option is absolutely not suitable for those who live in apartments. In this case, at home you can use the stove and sand. How to do this: fill the frying pan with dry sand and heat on a small fire for 3 hours.
After such roasting simply pour out the sand and tap the frying pan from all sides – the nasty covering will fall behind in a moment.
Option number 3: Household soap
This method is considered to be the easiest and fastest. In half an hour you will be able to return your old frying pan a pristine shine and beauty.
For this, rub a half piece of laundry soap (72%) on a grater, then cover a frying pan with it and pour hot water to make a soapy solution. Boil the composition in a frying pan for 30 minutes.
Option number 4: Soda and salt
- Another way to clean the cast iron helper at home with the help of fire, salt, soda and oil.
- So, fry the salt in the pan for half an hour.
- Then remove the salt, pour oil into it and boil for several minutes.
- Then pour out the oil, and prepare a soda solution of ½ glass of soda and 1-1.5 liters of water. This solution should also be boiled in a pan.
After all the manipulations are finished, the deposit will become soft and easily removed, and the frying pan will look like a new one.
How to restore a cast-iron frying pan after cleaning?
After all the cleaning procedures are successfully finished, no matter which way you choose, the pan needs restorative care so that the food does not stick to it. What do we have to do?
- First heat a dry frying pan over high heat.
- Then, using a brush, cover the entire surface of the container with oil.
- Next, let the cast iron to cool in the air, and then simply, without cleaning agents, wash it under warm water and wipe with a towel.
Now, having found out how to clean a cast-iron frying pan from perennial carbon deposits, you can at any time return the beloved brand-new appearance. And, thanks to such care, your kitchen assistant will serve you as long as possible.